I started Comanche Communications & Marketing in 2014, and for the time being it remains just me. You may already know me, or perhaps we haven’t yet met. So how do you know I know what I’m talking about, and that I won’t waste your time? Or your money.
First, here’s why I focus on crowdfunding. In 2013 a former colleague and friend from my ad agency days was taken from us in her early 50s by breast cancer. Her mother and aunt had also died the same way, and my friend left behind two teenage daughters. I started providing part-time marketing support to a local photographer who had developed an innovative style of abstract photography based on the naked female form, and his aim was to raise £1m for a national breast cancer charity. Whilst I was exploring the opportunities provided by crowdfunding the photo project was closed down. However, I had quickly been impressed by meeting several people who were extremely passionate about crowdfunding, and whilst it is clearly all about raising finance I also found research (Figure 63 on Page 77) that showed the two biggest issues facing crowdfunding project creators are how to plan and run effective marketing and how to develop content such as a project video. Taking this as an opportunity I set out to become an independent crowdfunding adviser.
But let’s get back to how do you know what I’m talking about and that I will prove to be of value? This is a recurring issue for both service buyers like you, and service providers like me. Rather than judging the intrinsic quality and value of any tangible products by comparing them against some easily available alternatives, you are going to have to make a judgement based on some clues I give about myself. These clues are ‘extrinsic qualities’, things I – and some other people – can tell you about me. If you are a service provider then perhaps it’s the same way your own potential customers or clients have to assess you or your company and what you could do for them.
So here is some information about my professional knowledge and experience. I hope it helps you decide to get in touch for an initial conversation. I also have a profile on LinkedIn
My varied work-related experience helps me to deliver solutions in a wide range of situations
- I was a speaker at the Crowdfunding London 2015 conference in April
- I have advised equity and donations crowdfunding projects in a wide range of business sectors including artisan foodstuffs, social enterprises, fashionable footwear, charitable causes, technology, road safety, media, education-related app development, medical research and cycle security
- I run my own content marketing using LinkedIn and Twitter. After running the Twitter and Facebook social media accounts for a local pub for four months it achieved its highest monthly takings in 15 years
- Content blogging for a global media platform on all aspects of crowd collaboration – e.g. sourcing, funding, co-creation, ‘smart city’ technology
- Promoted the generic benefits of radio advertising to a hard-nosed and sceptical audience of national brand owners and their agency advisers. Our MD was awarded an OBE and I take that as a sign we were getting it right!
- Analysis of market research, sales data and survey results to identify key market segments and develop a competitive advantage
- Barter trading – I convinced national publishers and broadcasters to let clients part-pay their advertising costs with goods or services rather than 100% cash
- Devised the format, created content and published match day programmes for a local sports club, also sold advertising space and shirt sponsorship packages
- I’ve carried out PR for local sports clubs, music events and an arts project raising funds for a national charity
- Plan and carry out e-mail marketing campaigns, analysing the outcomes
- Create and amend website and blog content, monitoring the effects on site traffic through Google Analytics
- Selling brand partnership rights for the London and Southampton Boat Shows
- Planned £multi-million advertising campaigns for well known brands such as Carlsberg, Cadbury’s, Express Newspapers, Mazda, BT, Butlin’s and Halfords
- Negotiated with the best sales people employed by national newspaper and magazine publishers
My qualifications in advertising, marketing and business management show I have attained knowledge levels endorsed by leading professional and educational organisations. I studied for and gained each of these qualifications whilst in fulltime work.
- Certification in ‘Creating and Starting Your Own Business’, awarded by PRIME (The Prince’s Initiative for Mature Enterprise) and SFEDI Awards, 2014
- Post-graduate Diploma in Direct and Digital Marketing with a B2B specialism awarded by the IDM (Institute of Direct and Digital Marketing), 2013
- Professional Diploma in Management awarded by the Open University Business School, 2010 (at NQF Level 7 this is recognised as comparable to a Masters)
- Diploma in Advertising awarded by CAM (Communication, Advertising and Marketing Education Foundation), 1997
- PR: I hold a UK Press Card recognising me as a “bona fide newsgatherer”
Membership of relevant professional organisations keep me up-to-date with latest developments and trends and show I meet required criteria in terms of expertise and experience.
- Marketing: a Business Leader member of the Marketing Society, the UK’s leading body for people in marketing, since 1998
- Digital marketing: member of the IDM – Institute of Direct and Digital Marketing
- Networking: you can often find me at meetings of the South East London Chamber of Commerce and SEEN And Being Heard (South East Entrepreneurs’ Network), or at the Brand Exchange in the City of London