I started Comanche Communications & Marketing in 2014, and it has remained just me, providing clients with bespoke marketing and crowdfunding services. You may already know me, or perhaps we haven’t yet met. So how do you know I know what I’m talking about, and that I won’t waste your time? Or your money.
First, here’s why I focus on crowdfunding. In 2013 a former colleague and friend from my advertising agency days was taken from us in her early 50s by breast cancer. Her mother and aunt had also died the same way, and my friend left behind two teenage daughters. I began working with a local photographer who had developed an innovative style of abstract photography based on the naked female form, and his aim was to raise £1m for a national breast cancer charity.
Whilst I was exploring the opportunities provided by crowdfunding to stage an exhibition and publish a book, the photo project was unfortunately brought to a close. However, I had quickly been impressed by meeting people who were extremely passionate about crowdfunding, and whilst it is clearly all about raising finance I also found research that showed the two biggest issues facing crowdfunding project creators were:
- how to plan and run effective marketing, and
- how to develop content such as a pitch document and a project video.
Seizing this as an opportunity, I set out to be an independent crowdfunding adviser within providing more general marketing services to small and medium size businesses. These days I mainly concentrate on managing clients’ social media accounts, and creating marketing content to be published on websites or anywhere else.
Here is some information about my professional knowledge and experience. I hope it helps you decide to get in touch for an initial conversation. I also have a profile on LinkedIn and you can follow me on Twitter.
My varied work-related experience helps me to deliver solutions in a wide range of situations
- I was a speaker at the Crowdfunding London 2015 conference in April
- I have advised equity and donations crowdfunding projects in a wide range of business sectors including artisan foodstuffs, social enterprises, fashionable footwear, charitable causes, technology, road safety, media, education-related app development, medical research, property investment and cycle security
- I run my own content marketing using LinkedIn and Twitter, and also do so for a number of clients. After running the Twitter and Facebook social media for a local pub for 18 months it had its best year’s takings in 15 years
- Content blogging for a global media platform on all aspects of crowd collaboration – e.g. crowdsourcing, crowdfunding, co-creation, mass collaboration, open innovation through prize challenges, ‘smart city’ technology
- Promoted the generic benefits of radio advertising to a hard-nosed and sceptical audience of national brand owners and their agency advisers. Our MD was awarded an OBE and I take that as a sign we were getting it right!
- Analysis of market research, sales data and survey results to identify key market segments and develop a competitive advantage
- Barter trading – I convinced national publishers and broadcasters to let my clients part-pay their advertising costs with values of goods or services rather than 100% cash
- Devised the format, created content and published match day programmes for a local sports club, including selling advertising space and shirt sponsorship packages
- I’ve carried out PR for local sports clubs, music events and an arts project raising funds for a national charity
- Plan and carry out e-mail marketing campaigns, analysing the outcomes
- Create and amend website and blog content, monitoring the effects on site traffic through Google Analytics
- Planned £multi-million advertising campaigns for well known brands such as Carlsberg, Cadbury’s, Express Newspapers, Mazda, BT, Butlin’s and Halfords
- Negotiated with the best sales people employed by national newspaper and magazine publishers
My qualifications in advertising, marketing and business management show I have attained knowledge levels endorsed by leading professional and educational organisations. I studied for and gained each of these qualifications whilst in fulltime work.
- Certification in ‘Creating and Starting Your Own Business’, awarded by PRIME (The Prince’s Initiative for Mature Enterprise) and SFEDI Awards, 2014
- Post-graduate Diploma in Direct and Digital Marketing with a B2B specialism awarded by the IDM (Institute of Direct and Digital Marketing), 2013
- Professional Diploma in Management awarded by the Open University Business School, 2010 (at NQF Level 7 this is recognised as comparable to a Masters)
- Diploma in Advertising awarded by CAM (Communication, Advertising and Marketing Education Foundation), 1997
- PR: I hold a UK Press Card recognising me as a “bona fide newsgatherer”
Membership of relevant professional organisations keep me up-to-date with latest developments and trends and show I meet required criteria in terms of expertise and experience.
- Marketing: a member since 1998 of the Marketing Society, the UK’s 60 year old leading body for people in marketing
- Digital marketing: member of the IDM – newly relabelled as the Institute of Data Marketing
- Networking: you can often find me at meetings of the South East London Chamber of Commerce or at the Brand Exchange in the City of London
- Enterprise Nation, a network of innovators and entrepreneurs with a host of business ideas to bring to market